CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Bad dreams!

Bad dreams, how I hate you! You are evil and make it hard to sleep. You are not welcome here.

I just spent the better part of this evening consoling my little girl because of a bad dream. A dream so bad she would not even tell! A dream so bad she just cries and cries! A dream so bad she just wants it out of her mind.  A dream so bad she just asks 'can we pray they go away'?

My heart melts! As her mother, I want nothing more than to dry her tears, to fix her problems, to make the pain go away, to make this bad dream disappear. I rack my mind thinking of what it could be. I beg her to tell me the dream to get it out of her mind. I assure her, it will not hurt me or her anymore. I hug her and tell her Mommies and Daddies make bad dreams go away. I wipe her tears, I speak good thoughts into her ear, I whisper I love you and it is okay. And yes we can pray!

We hold hands, close our eyes, bow our heads and pray.

I pray no more bad dreams, no more scary dreams, I ask my heavenly Father to fill her mind up with good thoughts, to take all the bad dreams away, they are not welcomed here. I ask God to give her thoughts of love, her family, her grandparents, her toys, the flowers she sees, the beautiful weather, her friends, crafts she loves to do.

We thank God for loving us and tell him we love him. We say amen, look up, and smile at each other.
The tears have stopped! Peace has come to us! The smile has come back! She is happy! She asks me to play with her! I ask her how do you feel, with her awesome smile she replies good and leans on me and says 'thank you'.

No, Thank you Lord! that you took her bad dream away, you filled her heart, her mind, her present with your love.
Thank You Lord that to a 6 year old girl, who is scared and doesn't know how to fix the problem knows to pray and that YOU will take care of her. And Thank You Lord from this 40ish girl who can't fix all her children's problems or her own but knows to pray and that YOU will take care of her and her children!



Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.

Psalm 55:22 Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.


 

2 comments:

Cindy Bultema said...

I'm so sorry to hear you wrestle with bad dreams in your household too. I appreciate your perspective and reminder to keep looking Up!
Sweet blessings~
Cindy :)

Rachel @ day2day joys said...

My son (3 years old) has been having some bad dreams lately also. We have been praying every night. Thanks for this post!